This is a NaturalNews preparedness alert.
Hurricane Irene is now headed directly toward New York City, where it could arrive on Sunday in an event now being described as “the worst effects from a hurricane in the region in 50 years.” (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/54098/hurricane-irene-to-slam-into-t.asp)
Irene is currently on course to strike North Carolina Saturday evening, then continue northward to the New York City area. Accuweather is currently reporting, “Such a path would lead to severe impacts that could prompt officials to force evacuations. All residents and visitors in the path of Irene should heed these orders if issued and prepare homes and businesses for Irene’s onslaught in the meantime.”
NaturalNews has long urged its readers to prepare for the unexpected, so here’s a list of some last-minute preparations you need to be making right now if you live on the East Coast of the USA:
* Fill up your car with gas. Do it early. Consider storing some extra gas in a gas can.
* Get some extra cash now, before the storm hits. Bank ATMs may be down and non-functional, and you may need cash to purchase fuel, supplies or even food.
* If you are forced to evacuate, do you have a “Go Bag?” If not, it’s time to get one going… (I describe how to create an emergency go bag in my Food Preparedness course, below…)
* Start storing extra water, using whatever clean containers you have handy. Remember, you need roughly 4 gallons of water per person, per day, to cover for possible water outages. If you can’t store the water, go out and BUY the water now, before the crowds hit the stores.
* Get out your water filter and make sure you know how to use it. What? You don’t have a water filter? It’s kinda too late, since ordering one right now means it probably won’t get to you in time. But you could conceivably order one on Amazon.com and opt for Saturday delivery, if you’re willing to pay the extra charge. NaturalNews recommends Katadyn water filters with ceramic elements. We sell them at the NaturalNews store, but if you order there, they won’t be shipped to you in time for this storm:
* Double check your stored food supplies: Do you have stored food? Do you have a non-electric can opener? Do you have a way to boil water and make soup without using the city’s electricity or natural gas? Double check all your supplies right now.
* Do you have an emergency LED flashlight? Are the batteries fresh? Do you have a good pocket knife or utility knife? Do you have a hand-cranked emergency radio so you can tune in to the weather reports and find out what’s going on?
* Do you have waterproof clothing? A good rain coat? Spare socks? How will you handle the weather if you find yourself outside in the storm?
* If there is a breakdown of police protection in your area, do you have the means to protect yourself from looters? Can you physically prevent your front door from being kicked in? Do you have pepper spray, a legal firearm, or some other self defense item in case of an emergency? Is your family trained on staying safe and not opening the door for strangers until you can confirm they are not looters?
* Where is your emergency first aid kit? Do you have emergency medicine for wound care and to help stop the bleeding of acute wounds? Do you have sutures and topical antiseptics? Do you even KNOW how to suture a wound?
* Do you have A PLAN for how to deal with electrical outages? What’s your plan if 911 emergency services is not responding for several days?
This is the time to consider all these things and make sure you are prepared to the best of your ability.
NATURALNEWS PREPAREDNESS SOLUTIONS:
NaturalNews, as you may know, offers several extremely informative preparedness solutions that you can download now (and listen to the MP3 files).
We offer a fantastic course on Food Security that also covers water storage, water filtration, protecting your food, cooking and heating food and many other important topics of emergency preparedness.
Click here to get details on this course, featuring the Health Ranger and Robert Scott Bell.
We also have a preparedness course coming soon from Daniel Vitalis (www.Surthrival.com) which will be posted in a combination video + audio format, but it is not available before this hurricane hits, unfortunately. I’ll be working on getting this course uploaded as soon as possible, however, because it seems we may all need it sooner than we think.
The NaturalNews Store offers storable superfoods in air-tight steel cans, suitable for long-term storage. Again, these won’t reach you before the hurricane hits, but it’s something to consider for long-term food security:
Above all, plan ahead and stay safe! Some believe the recent earthquake in Virginia, and now this hurricane, are all some sort of spooky alignment of natural disasters being sent to humble the American power centers on the East Coast. Or maybe it’s just coincidence. In any case, being prepared is the smart thing to do. Stay safe, folks! And we’ll see you on the other side of this hurricane, where the sun will indeed shine again…
– Mike Adams, the Health Ranger